CALL TO ORDER
Commissioner G. Thomas Gray called to order the regular scheduled meeting of the Unsafe Building & Hearing Authority at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday, December 16, 2020, in the Council Chambers of the Martinsville City Hall.
Commissioner Gray conducted the roll call. The following were present: G. Thomas Gray, Board
Commissioner; Dwayne Metcalf, Board Commissioner; Mike Lanam, Board Commissioner; Dale Coffey, City Attorney; and Bob Strader, Building Inspector; Mae Cooper, Administrative Assistant to the Building Inspector; and Mac Dunn, City Superintendent.
CONSIDERATION OF MINUTES
The minutes form the November 18, 2020 meeting were reviewed. A motion to approve the minutes with one correction was made by Commissioner Metcalf and seconded by Commissioner Gray.
Motion passed 3 – 0
680 E Gray Street: Two demolition bids were received. Commissioner Metcalf opened and read each bid. They are as follows:
- Broyer Construction Inc. $4,900.00
- Lafary Group Corporation $5,499.00
Broyer Construction Incorporated’s bid did not include details of the work to be completed while Lafary Group Corporation included the work to be completed as part of his bid. A motion was made by Commissioner Gray and seconded by Commissioner Metcalf to accept Broyer Construction’s bid on the condition they sign the demolition contract drawn up by Attorney Coffey includes the itemized list of the work to be completed. Motion passed 3 – 0
Attorney Coffey made a recommendation to the Commissioners to rescind the motion to accept Broyer Construction’s bid and table the bids.
Commissioner Metcalf made a motion to rescind the motion to accept the demolition by Broyer Construction. Commissioner Gray seconded the motion. Motion passed 3 – 0
Commissioner Metcalf made a motion to table the bids until the January 20th meeting. Commissioner Gray seconded the motion. Motion passed 3 – 0
PUBLIC SIGN IN DISCUSSION
The following signed in to speak to the Commissioners: Michael Reel, Lorie Timbs
890 N. Main St – Mike Reel: Mr. Reel, who stated he was a family member, represented the owner who was at work and was not able to attend the meeting. He explained he and the owner have plans to put shingles on roof and has siding ordered that should arrive in January. They are in the process of wrapping the house in preparation of the siding. Mr. Reel is scheduled for back surgery but hopes he and the owner can complete the work in the spring. The Commissioners asked about the missing glass in an upstairs window. Mr. Reel said he would take care of it. Mr. Reel stated he pulled a remodel permit in 2016 or 2017. Inspector Strader will work with him to update the permit; Building/Remodel permits are good for one year. The Commissioners will revisit in six months.
390 N. Jefferson St – Lorie Timbs, owner: Ms. Timbs stated she was in the process of getting financing to make the repairs on her home when her mother broke her hip. She has been helping with her convalescence. Her plans are to continue to obtain the financing and find a contractor who will do the repairs. Inspector Strader expressed concern about the condition of the house. Action must be taken to stop the intrusion of water and to stabilize the roof. Commissioner Gray stated there have been complaints about the overgrown vegetation on the property; there is also vegetation growing out of the gutters. He said there are volunteers who would willing to come help clear out the overgrowth. Ms. Timbs was asked to attend the February 17th meeting to give an update on her progress.
- 366 N. Henry St: The demolition work has been completed. The Commissioners removed the property from the list.
- 390 N. Jefferson St: See “Public Discussion”
- 890 N. Main St: See Public Discussion”
- 485 N. Grant St: A letter was sent to the owner requesting her attendance at the December 16th There was no response. Attorney Coffey will send a letter regarding the Commissioner’s concerns about the deterioration of the house and request her attendance at the January 20th meeting.
- 1360 S. Harriet St: Inspector Strader stated there are new tenants in the house. A motion was made by Commissioner Gray to have Attorney Coffey send a letter informing the owner the Unsafe Building and Hearing Authority is considering taking action to make repairs to the house and request his attendance at the January 20th A second motion was made by Commissioner Lanam. Motion passed 3 – 0
- 36 E. Morgan St: City Fire Marshall Charlie Fraker reported the owner has taken care of the violations he found. Inspector Strader will investigate possible structural issues.
- 1009 S. Ohio St: Inspector Strader was asked to check on the chimney. In his investigation he found additional problems. There may be potential water damage. Commissioner Lanam made a motion to have Mae Cooper send a letter to the owner requesting their attendance at the January 20, 2021 meeting. A second motion was made by Commissioner Metcalf. Motion passed 3 – 0
- 645 S. Ohio St: The roof is deteriorating and there is an issue with the soffit. Discussion was tabled until the January 20th
- 690 E South St: City Superintendent Mac Dunn reported the City does not have plans to acquire the house but just a portion of the front yard for the South Street project. Discussion was tabled.
A motion was made by Commissioner Lanam to adjourn. Commissioner Metcalf seconded the motion.
Motion passed 3 – 0