I. CALL TO ORDER
Commissioner G. Thomas Gray called to order the regular scheduled meeting of the Unsafe Building & Hearing Authority at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday, January 20, 2021, in the Council Chambers of the Martinsville City Hall.
II. ROLL CALL
Commissioner Gray conducted the roll call. The following were present: G. Thomas Gray, Board
Commissioner; Dwayne Metcalf, Board Commissioner; Mike Lanam, Board Commissioner; Dale Coffey, City Attorney; and Bob Strader, Building Inspector; Isaac Tumey, Code Enforcement Officer; Mae Cooper, Administrative Assistant to the Building Inspector; Charlie Fraker, City Fire Marshall; Kenny Costin, Mayor; and Mac Dunn, City Superintendent. Ben Merida, First Deputy Clerk Treasurer, was also in attendance.
III. CONSIDERATION OF MINUTES
The minutes from the December 15, 2020 meeting were reviewed. A motion to approve the minutes was made by Commissioner Metcalf and seconded by Commissioner Gray. Motion passed 3 – 0
IV. PUBLIC SIGN IN DISCUSSION
The following signed in to speak: Tom Tackett; Suzanne & Larry Jones
485 N. Grant St: Owners – Suzanne & Larry Jones: Mrs. Jones reported they had painted part of the house and have repaired a portion of the foundation. She said their son is returning home from the Navy and would like to purchase the home and fix it up. If that doesn’t work out, she has the option to sell off parts of the house such as the doors, windows, etc. Commissioner Gray said the Building Inspector’s office has a list of property investors that may be interested in purchasing the property. He suggested she drop by the office and pick up a copy of the list.
1360 S. Harriet St: Owner – Tom Tackett: Mr. Tackett reported he and Building Inspector Strader met at the property. Inspector Strader pointed out the issues and a repair list was compiled. Mr. Tackett has an estimate of around $10,000.00 to complete the repairs. The contractor Mr. Tackett is working with is currently out of town. He doesn’t have a specific date of his return but is hoping the work will begin next week. Inspector Strader stressed the importance of correcting the issues with the roof as soon as possible.
V. UNFINISHED BUSINESS
- 680 E. Gray St: After doing legal research, Attorney Coffey recommended the Board vote to re-bid the demolition of the property. Commissioner Gray made a motion to not accept the bids received for the property located at 680 E. Gray Street and solicit new demolition bids to be opened at the February 17th A second motion was made by Commissioner Metcalf. Motion passed 3 – 0
- 485 N. Grant St: See “Public Discussion”
- 1360 S. Harriet St: See “Public Discussion”
- 645 S. Ohio St: A windowsill on the front of the house is gone and there are some soffits missing. It is suspected the house is taking on water. Commissioner Lanam made a motion to send a letter to the owner concerning these problems. Commissioner Metcalf seconded the motion. Motion passed 3 – 0
- 1009 S. Ohio St: Inspector Strader spoke with the owner recently. The owner stated he is disabled and cannot attend the UBHA meeting. He agreed to have Inspector Strader come and meet with him to discuss the Board’s concerns about the condition of the property.
VI. NEW BUSINESS
- 739 S. Ohio St: Unsafe shed needs attention. Code Enforcement Officer Ike Tumey will contact the new owner of the property.
- 960 E. Nutter St: The owner has not made any repairs to the house. Siding is peeling away from the home. Inspector Strader and Officer Tumey will contact the owner.
- 60 N. Mulberry St: The addition on the west side of the home has a tarp on the roof. There are overhanging rafters missing and some windows are gone. Commissioner Lanam made a motion to have Attorney Coffey send a letter to the owners. Commissioner Gray seconded the motion. Motion passed 3 – 0
- Hillview Drive: An outbuilding on the property is falling down. Attorney Coffey recommended the UBHA not pursue the issue. Inspector Strader and Officer Tumey will contact the owner regarding the building as a code violation.
- 1340 S. Catherine St: Officer Tumey presented photos of a garage on the property to the Commissioners. He explained that nails have lifted from the roof causing the metal to peel away from the rafters. The rafter tails on the end of the building have rotted. Commissioner Gray asked if this is an unsafe building. Officer Tumey stated the building was unsafe. He stated the garage has a lean-to attached on the west side of the garage that is in bad condition and is unsafe as well. Commissioner Lanam made a motion to have Attorney Coffey send the owner a 10-day demolition letter to include the garage and the lean-to attached to the west side of the garage. Commissioner Gray seconded the motion. Motion passed 3 – 0
- 46 N. Main St: Officer Tumey has an appointment to meet onsite with the owners. He will report his findings at the February meeting.
- 36 E. Morgan St: Fire Marshall Charlie Fraker reported the back end of the building is being used as storage. He is satisfied with its condition for now.
A motion was made by Commissioner Metcalf to adjourn. Commissioner Lanam seconded the motion.
Motion passed 3 – 0
Minutes submitted by Mae Cooper, Administrative Assistant to the Building Inspector