I. CALL TO ORDER
Commissioner G. Thomas Gray called to order the regular scheduled meeting of the Unsafe Building & Hearing Authority at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday, March 17, 2021, in the Council Chambers of Martinsville City Hall.
II. ROLL CALL
Commissioner Gray conducted the roll call. The following were present: G. Thomas Gray, Board
Commissioner; Dwayne Metcalf, Board Commissioner; Mike Lanam, Board Commissioner; Dale Coffey, City Attorney; Isaac Tumey, Code Enforcement Officer; and Mae Cooper, Administrative Assistant to the Building Inspector
III. CONSIDERATION OF MINUTES
The minutes from the February 17, 2021 meeting were reviewed. A motion to approve the minutes was made by Commissioner Lanam and seconded by Commissioner Gray. Motion passed 3 – 0.
IV. DEMOLTION BIDS
1340 S. Catherine Street:
Two demolition bids were received. Commissioner Metcalf opened and read aloud each bid. They are as follows:
- Lafary Group Corporation $1,900.00
- VSCH – Victor Spina $7,937.00
A motion was made by Commissioner Lanam to accept the bid from Lafary Group Corporation for $1,900.00. Commissioner Gray seconded the motion. Motion passed 3 – 0.
V. PUBLIC SIGN IN DISCUSSION
No one from the public signed in.
VI. UNFINISHED BUSINESS
- 60 N. Mulberry Street and 940 S. Main Street: Tabled until the April meeting.
- 960 E. Nutter St: Commissioner Lanam spoke with a volunteer group that are willing to help make the needed repairs. The group will contact the owner. Discussion was tabled until the April meeting.
- 960 S. Crawford: A letter was sent to the owner regarding the unsafe garage. The owner responded by phone. He said he would be off work on Friday and asked if someone could call him. Inspector Strader will contact him.
- 1340 S. Catherine St: See “Demolition Bids”
- 1009 S. Ohio St: Unsafe garage and possibly other issues. Officer Tumey and Inspector Strader will speak with the owner. Tabled until the April meeting.
- 1360 S. Harriet St: Inspector Strader has made phone calls to the owner to get an update on the progress of the needed repairs. The owner has not returned any calls. A letter will be sent to the owner requesting an update.
VII. NEW BUSINESS
590 E. South St: The shed behind the house has siding issues and some broken windows. There is also overgrown weeds and brush. It is possible this property is part of the South Street Project. Discussion was tabled until the August meeting.
A motion was made by Commissioner Lanam to adjourn. Commissioner Metcalf seconded the motion.
Motion passed 3 – 0.