Mayor Costin called the meeting Martinsville Common Council to order on Monday, March 28, 2022. Laura and David Ballinger of 1st United Methodist Church led the prayer followed by Mayor Costin leading the Pledge of Allegiance.
THOSE MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE
- Kenny Costin, Mayor
- Phil Deckard, District 1
- Ben Mahan, District 2
- Josh Ferran, District 3
- Suzie Lipps, District 4
- Phil Deckard II, District 5
- Ann Miller, Councilwoman-at-Large
- Jim Wisco, Councilman-at-Large (arrived at 7:10 p.m.)
- Dale Coffey, City Attorney
- Rebecca Tumey, Clerk – Treasurer
- Ben Merida, Deputy Clerk
A quorum was declared present.
Councilman Phil Deckard Sr. was absent.
Mayor Costin presented the Minutes of Monday, March 28, 2022. to the Council. A motion to accept and allow the Minutes was made by Councilwoman Suzie Lipps. Councilwoman Ann Miller seconded the motion. The Minutes are approved 5-0. (Councilman Wisco arrived after the vote.)
Mayor Costin congratulated Martinsville High Athletic Director Kip Staggs. Staggs recently received the Outstanding Sportsmanship Award again. Regarding the Sanitation department, Costin advised the Council that the department is running at a $41,000.00 deficient each month. Executive Assistant to the Mayor, Mack Porter gave a brief update regarding a skate park. Porter is in contact with the Tony Hawke Foundation.
Mayor Costin recessed the Council meeting for two public hearings.
1. Petition for Annexation / Local attorney Mike Ksenak, representing Faith Missionary Church, announced his client’s desire to be voluntarily annexed into the city. Mayor Costin called for Council comment. Councilwoman Ann Miller asked why they are seeking annexation. The answer is growth to the east side of the city. Mayor Costin called three more times for public comment. Hearing none, the public hearing closed.
2. Community Development Block Grant Wastewater Grant Program / Victoria Bechert of Administrative Resources association discussed the requirements for the potential $700,000.00 grant for sewer re-lining. Mayor Costin called for Council comments. There were none. Mayor Costin called for Public Comment three times. Hearing none, the public hearing was closed.
Mayor Costin reconvened the Council meeting.
Council Appointee to the Fire Merit Board – Councilman Phil Deckard II nominated Keith Buis to the Fire Merit Board. There were no other nominations. A motion to accept and allow the appointment was made by Councilman Phil Deckard II. Councilwoman Ann Miller seconded the motion. The Motion passes 6-0.
Ordinance 2022-0037/ Petition for Annexation – Attorney Mike Ksenak read aloud the proposed ordinance. As this was the first reading, there was no action.
Resolution 2022-0006 / Adoption of Written Fiscal Plan for Annexation of Real Estate- City Attorney Dale Coffey presented the resolution. As this was the first reading, there was no action.
Annual Tax Abatement Compliance States / Artesian Group – Mike Dellinger, President of the Morgan County Economic Development, presented the abatements to the council. A Motion to accept and allow was made by Councilman Jim Wisco. Seconding the motion was Councilwoman Ann Miller. The Motion passes 6-0.
Ordinance 2022-0035 / Vacate Public Ways (Alley) – County Commissioner Brian Collier appeared for the County. A motion to accept and allow was made by Councilman Phil Deckard II. Councilwoman Ann Miller seconded the motion. The Motion passes 4-1-1. Councilman Josh Ferran voted “no” and Councilman Jim Wisco abstained.
Mayor Costin presented the Claims. A motion to accept and allow the Claims was made by Councilman Phil Deckard II. Councilman Ben Mahan seconded the motion. The Motion passes 6-0.
There being no further business, Mayor Costin declared the meeting adjourned.