CALL TO ORDER
Commissioner Tom Gray called to order the regular scheduled meeting of the Unsafe Building & Hearing Authority at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday, September 21, 2022, in the Council Chambers of Martinsville City Hall.
Commissioner Gray conducted the roll call. The following were present: G. Thomas Gray, Board Commissioner; Dwayne Metcalf, Board Commissioner; Mike Lanam, Board Commissioner; Dale Coffey, Board Attorney; Bob Strader, Building Inspector; Phil Vaught, Code Enforcement Officer; Mae Cooper, Administrative Assistant to the Building Inspector; Mac Dunn, City Superintendent; and Kenny Costin, Mayor
CONSIDERATION OF MINUTES
A motion to approve the minutes from the August 17, 2022 meeting was made by Commissioner Metcalf and seconded by Commissioner Lanam. Motion passed 3 – 0
PUBLIC SIGN IN DISCUSSION
520 W. Douglas St: Wendi Newman, the property owner’s daughter, gave an update. She said her husband is working on the home in the evenings and on weekends. She reported the needed repairs have been made to the home and siding is in the process of being installed. She has plans to repair the glass in a window that had been broken during in a recent storm. She is going to make application with the C.A.P. office in hopes of getting a new roof. No one is currently living in the home; however, she and her husband plan to move in once the work is complete. Inspector Strader recommended monitoring the progress. The Commissioners thanked Ms. Newman for attending.
- A) 190, 190 ½, 192 W. Harrison St: A letter was sent by certified mail to the owner. The letter included a list of repairs to be made to the house only. The deadline for making the repairs is December 31, 2022.
- B) 520 W. Douglas St: “See Public Discussion”
- C) 180 W. Washington St: A letter regarding the siding at the bottom of the detached garage was sent to the owner. There has not been a response to date. Tabled until the October meeting.
- D) 1305 Ash Court: Inspector Strader will contact someone who has the authority to give verbal permission to inspect the interior of the house. If verbal permission is not obtained or granted, an Administrative Warrant to inspect will be obtained from the court.
- E) 209 S. Wayne St: Inspector Strader and Fire Marshall Charlie Fraker have visited the property. They found numerous extension cords and other electrical issues inside the home. Tabled until the October meeting.
- F) 489 E. Walnut St: The owner gave Inspector Strader permission to inspect the property and a code number to the lock box to enter the building. He said the code did not work and was unable to get inside to inspect. He found several holes on the outside of the structure. Photos were taken.
- G) 645 S. Ohio St: Inspector Strader drove around the property this week. He found the siding on the back side of the house is deteriorating. There may be water infiltration in this area. The owner has not responded to a letter sent by Inspector Strader in September. Attorney Coffey will send a letter requesting the owner to make contact or further action will taken.
VI. NEW BUSINESS
- A) 484 Maple St: Tabled until the October meeting.
- B) 599 N. Elliott St: Tabled until the October meeting.
- C) 609 N. Elliott St: Tabled until the October meeting.
With no further business to discuss, a motion to adjourn was made by Commissioner Lanam and seconded by Commissioner Metcalf. Motion passed 3 – 0.
Minutes submitted by Mae Cooper, Administrative Assistant to the Building Inspector