Building Services

All building projects start here in our department. We are the first stop for new developments and additions for both residential and commercial projects, as well as work done in our historic downtown. We also handle everything from variances to permits to right-of-ways to zoning and subdivision-related ordinances and serve as advisors to the City’s Unsafe Building and Hearing Authority.

We work with contractors who must be licensed with the City to do work here and we handle steps necessary with stormwater and erosion control. In other words, if you are doing any earth moving on a project, we need to be involved so we can help advise on what needs to be done to comply with city ordinances and IDEM requirements. Please check out our services below for a more detailed list of what we provide.

Indiana State Department of Health Bed Bug Information

How Can We Assist You?

(765) 349-4923

Send Message
Apply for a Permit Here

Office Hours

Monday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Closed for lunch from noon – 1:00 p.m.

Programs & Services

Counsel and steps for residential and commercial projects
(including new developments and additions)

Historic downtown projects involving additions, tear downs and rehab work

Licenses for electricians, plumbers and heating/air conditioning contractors who are required to be licensed to do work in the City

Advisors to Martinsville’s Unsafe Building and Hearing Authority: if you have a structure you think may be unsafe, please call us for a free inspection of it and we will work with you regarding necessary steps

City ordinances related to building and planning
(zoning and subdivision)

Planned unit developments of divisions
(new subdivisions)

(including demolition, building and swimming pool permits)

  • Electrical Work
  • Variances & Zoning
  • Remodels
  • Right-Of-Way Work

Provide floodplain maps

Stormwater and erosion control

If you have a building that requires a septic system, you will need to contact the Morgan County Health Department at 765-342-6621 and obtain a septic permit prior to applying for a building permit

New addresses are assigned by the Morgan County Plan Commission: 765-342-1060

For erosion control permits outside the city limits, contact the Morgan County Surveyor’s Office: 765-342-1064

Contact Our Office

Use the form below to contact our office.

  • Hidden
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.